Sunday, January 20, 2013

For My Sake, I Hope This is a Good Idea


      I'd be willing to say that I've had some pretty good ideas in my life. Unfortunately I've also had some pretty terrible ideas in my life. Shall we view a short list?

The Good – chose some damn good life-long friends
(especially those who have consistently been there for me through this endeavor)
The Bad – dyed my hair "smurf" blue once

The Good – attended college
The Bad – chose a worthless major

The Good – fell in love
The Bad – acted like an ass and am now alone

The Good – hmmm...
The Bad – jumped off of way too many roofs into pools and bayous

The Good – ehh...
The Bad – done a few too many things that have resulted in broken bones and/or stitches

The Good – ???
The Bad – pretty much every single decision I've made because I'm hard-headed and don't listen

The Good – *seriously scratching my head*
The Ba...you know what, that's enough of that.

      It's currently up-in-the-air as to which category my latest idea will be classified under. I've decided to take advantage of living in Asia and become a student of the martial arts. Sounds cool, right? My logic is that a true black-belt such as Master Kim (who trains one of the UFC's fighters, Dong Hyun Kim) doesn't offer to teach you Muay Thai and K-1 kickboxing everyday so you may as well take advantage of it. Also, nine year old Ryan who watched Bloodsport every chance he got would be thoroughly upset if he found out I didn't jump on this chance. So the plan is to take a break from exercising with weights and hopefully use this as a means to achieve my fitness goals. Maybe I'll be in incredible shape after a few grueling months of training. Maybe I am secretly super talented and I'll compete as a Western phenom.
      More likely my body will end up black and blue. I'll be completely embarrassed, battered, and broken. I'll probably get my head kicked clean off...but at least I can say I tried. Breaking down my comfort zone has clearly become the theme of my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment