Monday, March 18, 2013

Does Fortune Favor the Bold?

      I've achieved more in the past couple of months with my artwork than I have in years.  Actually, since my senior graduation show at LSU.  Amazingly, it all started as a simple outlet for my frustration/desperation.  I was sketching in a cafe one day and was approached by the owner who noticed me drawing.  Things snowballed through a random series of events from there and I ended up with a show at the Painted Chair gallery.  As if that weren't amazing enough, another art space/gallery was interested in my pieces as well.   My exhibition is currently being shown at Baraboda Art Community, an incredible place for working artists.   Not only are pieces shown here but lessons are offered, studio space can be rented out, and artists are brought in to give talks.   It's quite a unique idea and I wish more places like this were made available to artists back in the States.  Daily and monthly rentals are available for an incredibly inexpensive price and there are more than enough art supplies and space at your disposal.  And for those inevitable artistic all-nighters, there's even a small kitchen with an endless supply of coffee and tea which I have such the affinity for.  A beautifully shot piece by one of the community's young video artist can be seen here.  The only downfall for me however, is that there are two cats roaming around which belong to the owner and I am unfortunately allergic to cats.   So it would appear that I'll be stuck in my little box of an apartment while drawing and painting for now.
      So taking chances pays off...sometimes.  I wish risk-taking would end in good fortune more often.   But I guess we must realize that not everything concludes with a movie script ending.   Sometimes the hero doesn't defeat the villain.  Sometimes bad things happen to good people.  And sometimes a boy stands freezing in the pouring rain at a payphone at midnight having an incredible conversation with the his soul mate only to reluctantly hang up and never hear from her again.
      When we act boldly and it pays off, it is fortune favoring us.  When it doesn't, we're foolish.


No comments:

Post a Comment