Monday, March 4, 2013

Things I'll Never Understand - The Korean Economy


      Now I'm no brilliant man when it comes to business but apparently Economics 101 doesn't apply to Korea.   Since the beginning of my time here, I've found it odd that there'd be so many of the same businesses within a literal stone's throw of each other.  Korea has an affinity for the "Big 5" - convenient stores, cafes, eye wear stores, bakeries, and outdoor outfitters.  The only conclusion that I can come to is that Korea is a twilight zone for economic basics such as supply and demand.  One would think that as the supply of a particular good becomes more and more abundant the market would eventually become flooded and the demand would lessen.   Not so out here.   If I can get a coffee at a second floor cafe of a particular building, then Korea assumes that I'd also want to get one on a third floor cafe as well.   And at the cafe in the building next door.  And again at the cafe across the street.    I've constantly questioned how it's possible for all of these cafes to stay open; it make absolutely no sense to me.
      Another peculiar thing that I've discovered is that if you place a take-out order at a cafe, it's usually 40% cheaper than if you stay in to have a coffee or tea.  That seems completely backwards to me.  Why would you want someone to come to your business, give them almost half off, then have them leave?   If anything, shouldn't it be a little cheaper if they stayed?   Wouldn't you want to keep your customers there in hopes of having their one cup of coffee turn into two?
      I can almost understand the whole convenient store thing because, well, they are supposed to be convenient.   But it's still a bit much.  They are on every street corner and here's what makes it even more nonsensical, they are of the same franchise.   Who needs a GS 25 three stores down from another GS 25? And eye wear stores?   Do we really need 20 stores that sell glasses and contacts down a half mile road?   I once counted five consecutive outdoor outfitters in a row...yep, they were actually all touching each other.  Are any of the prices different to potentially give one store an edge over another?   Nope.   So Korea, I'm simply left scratching my head once again at your expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment