Sunday, January 31, 2016

How Long Can You Go Without Bathing?

      Well everyone, you'll be glad to know that I made it through. Admittedly, I went through moments of weakness where things looked bleak for 72 hours. This winter storm that we (yes, you and I) have been experiencing has been nothing short of monstrous. Records for low temperatures were set, people were ill-prepared, and panic set in. I know what you're thinking, "What are you talking about?! You're in Thailand; it's the States that were freshly pummeled by snow!" OK, so we didn't get any snow but the temperatures did plummet...by almost 45 degrees, none-the-less! One day it was 90 degrees, sunny, and perfectly suitable for a t-shirt and shorts (which I've packed ample of). The next was brutally windy, spitting rain, and utterly frigid, suitable for hardcore winter gear (of which I've packed none).


      With temperatures near the mid-40's and the windchill even lower, simply existing became a challenge. The 15 minute walk to school appeared to be an impossible expedition. Surviving the days in classrooms with no means of heat or keeping the wind and rain out seemed like cruel torture. And there was no reprieve at the end of the day upon returning to my room. I do not have a heater; they simply don't exist in Thailand. My door doesn't snugly close either. Normally this issue leads to uninvited visitors in the form of insects, arachnids, reptiles, and amphibians.  But now it meant that the indoor temperature was equal to that outside. Armed with a single, way-too-thin-and-small blanket, I struggled to make it through the nights.

This Was How My Walk To School Felt
      In all seriousness, as miserable as those few days were for me, my heart went out to my students. I couldn't imagine being exposed to record lows like that while living in some of the structures that the do. I'm certain that the wind and rain cut right through as if it weren't even there. They aren't equipped with the proper clothing for cold weather such as that which led to drastic measures...never leaving the slightest comfort of their blankets, burning trash outside of homes, and skipping baths. Keep in mind that the ground water is now viciously cold and washing one's self while standing outside ladling water over your body just isn't worth risking pneumonia.  Although my showers were downright painful, at least I wasn't outside for the process.  There were many students who stayed home from school for the entire week. Perhaps the cold was just a convenient excuse to skip. Perhaps it was something more legitimate like helping their family.


Warm Milk Became As Valuable As Gold

      I'm confident that I can speak for all of Northeastern Thailand when I say that I'm glad that the sun has returned and brought with it warm temperatures. What a lesson in perspective this has been! It seems to solidify that we not only take far too many things for granted but also always want what we can't have.


No comments:

Post a Comment