Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Moving, But Not Moving On

      As I have previous alluded to, it seems that the sun may be setting on my life in Sakon Nakhon.  Naturally, I've fielded questions along the lines of "What was wrong with your experience there?", "What would you have changed?", "Tired of eating bugs and rats?" and "What will you do next?".  I've spent a fair amount of time reflecting on these questions and have come to the conclusion that things were pretty damn good.  Of course I won't overlook the hardships of day-to-day existence but freeing one's mind and adopting the Mai Bpen Rai mantra sure makes things simpler and by extension, easier.  I'm willing to say that regardless of where one lives, this approach to life could benefit everyone.

Living Mai Bpen Rai to the fullest.
      There were moments had that I wouldn't trade for anything.  The smell of the breeze across a rice paddy, a herd of water buffalo lazily tromping through a field, the sun setting at the end of a long, dusty road.  There were interactions with others that offered so much insight...and not a single word was spoken.  Ironic, no?  Smiles, gestures, and intuitive head nods are effective communication and can mean so much.  Imagine being tattooed by a Buddhist monk with sharpened bamboo.  Imagine hiking so high up a mountainside that you can see Laos.  Imagine sitting on the banks of the mighty Mekong River.  Imagine having your beard pulled on by an infant and a nonagenarian, both in utter amazement that coarse hair grows from your cheeks and chin.  Fortunately for me, I don't have to imagine these things.  They've become my experiences and I am forever grateful.

The following photos were taken with a Holga camera which I gutted and attached an instant-film developer back to.  Shot with Fuji FP-100C instant film.







      With that being said, it is my intention to move to Chon Buri, Thailand – a settlement that can actually be referred to as a city.  With a larger population and much more modernity than what I've experienced for the previous six months, I'll be exposed to yet another side of Thailand.  I suppose it'll fall in between the minimalism of Sakon Nakhon and the insanity of Bangkok.  It's another opportunity for discovery – which excites me – but if all else fails, Sakon Nakhon will certainly be there.


No comments:

Post a Comment