Sunday, November 18, 2012

That Which Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger?


      I've said it before and I'll say it again, one of the better aspects of Korea is the food. You wouldn't believe the variety, presentation, and flavors you can encounter. My recent lunch was the delicacy known as Fugu, or Japanese puffer fish. Fish is fish, right? Not this time. According to medical toxicity reports, "Fugu contains lethal amounts of the poison tetrodotoxin in its organs, especially the liver, the ovaries, and the skin. The poison, a sodium channel blocker, paralyzes the muscles while the victim stays fully conscious. The victim is unable to breathe, and eventually dies from asphyxiation. There is no known antidote." So this was no ordinary lunch, this was a delicious stare down between the Grim Reaper and myself.
     When ordering, I opted to go with a heaping serving of numerous fish boiled in a stew of greens, mushrooms and sprouts. The fish was left on the bone with its vivid yellow, green, and blue skin intact. While at the dining table I tried recalling which part of the puffer fish contained the insidious poison. Was it the bones? The organs? The skin? I spent what felt like an hour before that first bite attempting to remember then realizing that I had no idea; none what-so-ever. So in a hasty panic I did the only thing that I came to mind...I ate it.  All of it.  Every last bite. I have a hard time turning down food, I hate wasting it, and frankly, I was starving by this point. Of course once I got started I was caught up in the taste and had to finish.



      Now the looming question is how long before the poison kills me? Hopefully my chef knew what he was doing and wasn't having an off day. By the time you read this I could be undergoing seizures, paralyzed, or deceased. If my next entry doesn't come soon, you may as well assume the worst. Feel free to comment though, I might be paralyze but we've established that I'll remain conscious and able to read any epitaphs written in my honor. At least it was a unique and savory meal to go out on.

No comments:

Post a Comment