Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Things I May or May Not Like About Korea


       I'm uncertain as to where this entry will be filed in the new "Things I Like/Dislike About Korea" series. It all depends on how things transpire from this point forward which begs the question, does "all's well that ends well" hold any validity? I've been battling an illness for almost two weeks now. The post-nasal drip, coughing, runny and stuffy nose, and an unbearably sore throat has got me thinking it's Strep or maybe tonsillitis and it's time that I get them remove. Either one should be fun to deal with in a Korean hospital, right?! After spending the past two weeks attempting a natural solution by consuming my body weight in green tea and oranges and seeing no improvement, I decided to expedite the process with the help of modern Korean medicine. Going to the doctor over here is as stress and hassle free as I've ever experienced. I walked into the doctor's office without an appointment and was attended to immediately. I was asked about my insurance card, which I don't carry on me because it's a ridiculously large piece of cardboard, and was taken anyways. The doctor quickly checked me out, diagnosed me with acute bronchitis and sinusitis, and asked if I wanted a shot. "Sure!  Why not?!" and I was also written a prescription. Upon leaving, I was charged the equivalent of $3.50...without proof of insurance. I walked to the pharmacy, again no insurance, and received nine liquid packs as well as nine packs of pills to take three times a day...for the whopping cost of $4.
      So why or how could this possibly be listed under "Things I Dislike About Korea"? Well, it was this particular doctor who saw one of my coworkers two weeks ago and diagnosed her with the same thing. Turns out she had pneumonia and had to spend 7 days in the hospital. And just yesterday another coworker walked to his office and, sure enough, she has the same thing as well. So maybe I'm doomed. Maybe I'll end up in a hospital room with a bunch of elderly and sickly Koreans for a week. Maybe you'll never hear from me again cause I took an injection of who-knows-what in my butt. Or maybe the third time's a charm for this doctor; he'll finally be correct and I'll finally get better. It is then that I will classify this entry under "Things I Like About Korea."

1 comment:

  1. Rio, you are a hoot. It sounds like you have a problem with your current environment.

    Is your problem a perception problem or does the environment really have problems?
    Most of the time perception=reality.

    Is it a bad environment or is it just different?

    Find me the answers to life while your are there, please.

    ReplyDelete