Monday, November 2, 2015

An Observation Of...

It seems that I've stumbled upon the habit of drawing comparisons of Bangkok to Busan and I'm not quite sure how I feel about that yet.  On one hand, I dislike the feeling of labeling people, customs, places, actions, etc. Could that set an unfair precedent from one variable to another?  Conversely, I suppose it's only natural.  Could an isolated experiences exist if it weren't for others to relate them to?  How would I know which is the best steak I've ever eaten if it weren't for the lackluster ones?  Or which location on the human body is the most painful spot to be tattooed?  Or who are the greatest friend if it weren't for the assholes?

I'll interrupt myself here with what I feel would be a common rebuttal; "Those examples are subjective.  My tastes are different from yours.  My pain may vary from someone else's.  But when comparing Bangkok to Busan, these are two things that can be quantified."  Absolutely correct.  However, in both cases, these are merely my observations to the world around me.  I'm not commenting on the population density, the year that democracy was established, or the square mileage which each country covers.  I wander in observation of how the world and I interact; this perspective is no one's but my own.

So without further adieu, some thoughts...

-One of the more interesting things to me is the race of the population of Bangkok.  There are native Thais (darker skin, shorter in stature, and distinctly harsh features) and there are Chinese Thais (pale skin, taller stature, and smooth, subtle features).  There's a slight divide between these groups based on the perceptions of social status and class, with the pale-skinned Thais thinking that they're of a higher status.  This is much different than Busan whose population is over 90% pure Korean decent.  It's a much more racially homogenized city.

-Both cities aren't the cleanest; there are just too many people taking up too much space.  Without any open-air landfills to take the massive amounts of garbage produced by the large populations, it get highly stacked on every street corner.  With this amount of rank trash out in the open, one can naturally expect roaches and rats.  Now here's where the cities differ – Bangkok is over-run with mangy, wild dogs and Busan is over-populated with feral cats.

-Traffic is worse in Bangkok.  Drivers are worse in Bangkok.  The rules of the road do not exist in Bangkok.  In essence, if your mode of transportation can fit in a space, you go there.  If your vehicle is too large to fit in said space, you force yourself there anyways.


-While residential spaces in both cities contain the customary Asian-style open bathroom (tiled floor and walls, a drain in the center of the floor, a shower head mounted on the wall), Thailand plumbing leaves a lot to be desired.  Though South Korean toilets can handle toilet paper being flushed, Thai piping can not.  Cue the "Bum Gun".  This is a high-pressured spray nozzle mounted next to every toilet which is used to wash exactly what you think it washes.  You then dry yourself with toilet paper (which is more on par with the single-ply tissue Stateside) and dispose of it in the garbage can.


 -Lastly, Thailand has adopted the British rules of driving.  The steering wheel is on the opposite side of the vehicle from South Korea and America.  Also, the opposing lanes in the road are used when traveling.  Be careful!  Americans will look to their left first but the cars will be speeding at you from the right!


No comments:

Post a Comment