Monday, November 30, 2015

Another Group Of Strangers In Another Strange Land

      I write today to send specific wishes to specific people. I'm missing out on quite a few milestones while I'm away. And I know that it's easy to presume that I don't remember or care, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Though I freely put myself in this situation, by no means should it reflect that which does or does not hold value in my life.

      Starting with the obvious – Thanksgiving – I'm highly aware that I missed out on the opportunity to enjoy family, friends, food, and fun. I received your pictures and heard the retellings of your feasts; I'm envious to say the least (except for your Thanksgiving, Brandon). Nothing puts turkey, gumbo, oyster dressing, even bread into a category of "luxury" until you're in a locale where it doesn't exist. Undaunted however, my American co-workers and I sought to make the best of a Thanksgiving in Thailand by enjoying rare (and expensive) "Western" food. So while it wasn't the customary fare, our mashed potatoes, hamburgers, salads, club sandwiches, salmon steaks, and mixed vegetables made for an enjoyable evening.

Guess who ate too much, too quickly.
      I also find humor in the fact that I've been here before, for this very holiday. What's changed since then? What will be different going forward, if anything? Being familiar territory, do I already know how this undertaking ends?

      Outside of Thanksgiving, I've also thought about the other endeavors that I'm unable to partake in...

  • Birthdays. I'd like to offer up the happiest of birthday wishes for those born on the 28th of November.
  • Initial openings. The introduction of Rye Canteen, Luling's newest (and soon-to-be greatest) restaurant took place with some of the most amazing people I know attending. I really would have enjoyed being present.
      So Happy Thanksgiving / Birthday / Grand Opening!




2 comments:

  1. Happy late Thanksgiving, Ryan! Love you. You were here in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy late Thanksgiving, Ryan. Love you. You were here in spirit! - Adrienne

    ReplyDelete