Saturday, November 21, 2015

My New Neighbors

       Buddhism is undeniably the main religion in Thailand.  It's vastly spread and my town, Sakon Nakhon, is actually a settlement for several Buddhist monasteries.  Each monastery is home to numerous monks varying in age, with many surprisingly younger than you'd probably guess.  As a matter of fact, my accommodations are next door to a monastery and I can take an easy stroll to another seven or eight.  While life next door to a Buddhist commune may sound intriguing and pleasant, I regret to inform you that it is not.



Grave Sites Built In The Traditional Khmer Architecture



Due to a lack of familiarity with a Buddhist monk's daily life, I have been exposed to some surprising rituals which take place rather frequently.  The first of which is a daily gong sounded between 6:00 and 7:00 in the morning.  It's rung in the pattern of one, two...three, four...five, six...seven.  And it's loud.  Loud enough to be heard over the mangy dogs fighting, the dozens of roosters cackling and squawking back and forth, or the local male peacock who struts the dusty streets of the area.  Needless to say, sleep doesn't come easily.  But these aren't the worst of it, oh no.  There are sacred holidays that – for no rhyme or reason beknownst to me – require chanting to be performed for the duration of the entire night.  I'll assume that you're thinking "How loud can chanting monks be?  Especially if they aren't near you, but are next door??"  Well, these chants are broadcast unto the world over a loud speaker system to offer blessings to the entire town.  I assure you, I do not need these blessings for twelve consecutive hours once the sun goes down.  Apparently the locals are accustomed to this; I however, am not.




Handmade Prayer Banners Blessed By The Monks
But alas, there is nothing that I can do about my "neighbors" except to embrace it.  So while walking past a monastery a few nights ago, I stumbled upon the festivities of what appeared to be a "fundraiser" for this particular temple.  There was traditional Thai dancing, live singers (just singing along to a music track a.k.a. glorified karaoke), a raffle, prayer sessions, and blessings occurring all over the temple grounds.  Fortunately, I was toting my camera along so I proceeded to wander in.  The interactions between myself and the natives have all followed the same paradigm –
     1. Walk around aimlessly and draw as many stares as possible from all men, women, and children.
     2.  Go about your desired business until the bravest child decides to get close enough to investigate you, then smile and wave at them.
     3. As they panic and cower to the safety of the other children, realize that you've just initiated a "peek-a-boo" game.  Continue to periodically look back to smile and wave at all of the children.
     4. Win the children over and in doing so, you've won the women over.  The men are slightly more difficult but politely speak to them in Thai and bow out of respect and you should be golden.
     5. Repeat Steps 1 through 4 during your next endeavor in awkward foreign/native interactions!

Trinkets Pay Homage To Buddha Meditating Under the Bodhi Tree
The Native Thai Children

No comments:

Post a Comment