Monday, December 3, 2012

Insight?


       So my current struggle is the debate of what this site should contain and what is its purpose. Yes, I did the cliched thing and started a blog because I was moving to South Korea. Did I intend for it to be some sort of written testimony of the country itself? A History or Travel channel documentary? Or perhaps it was meant to be an open journal. A digital facsimile of the paper and pencil I use to write down ideas, songs, poems, and sketches. But does the public want to read my personal, manic ramblings? Do I want the public to?
      Up until this point, I'd say it's been a fair share of both. Equal parts chronicling the experiences that South Korea offers and my personal journey through the ebbs and flows of living on the other side of the world. Are these two ideas so contrasting that one is better than the other? Or do they work well together, perhaps even needing each other?
      I'm not sure if I have a preference yet as to which I think is more successful or which I prefer to write about. I love discovering new things here and the immersion into daily life that one wouldn't get by merely vacationing here. With that being said though, I have to take the good with the bad. And when the bad happens, things become emotional and personal. That's what leads to writings that have so much to do with my person (music, art, food, misery, joy, homesickness, independence) and less to do with Korea itself.
      The most that I can hope for is that someone out there takes the slightest interest in my experience through my writings, photos, and, maybe one day, videos (hopefully). Honestly, I prefer things flowing organically so I'm not bothered by the polar opposites of the spectrum being explored and published to the world (or lack thereof) through this site. As always, I'll apologize for the lapse in entries but thank you for bearing with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment