Monday, December 17, 2012

'Tis the Season...for Art

      I was fortunate enough to sync up with Quentin, my close friend who is coming to visit me along with my brother Brandon for Christmas, via Skype over the weekend. As always, the chance for conversation is something I appreciate but was particularly grateful that he commented on my art and the fact that I'm drawing more frequently again. I took that as a huge compliment and am glad that I'm able to do so much.  Not because it was assigned to me, but because I simply need to get what's inside out. I've started a fourth drawing in my black ink series and while I don't believe that any of my works are ever complete, I now have three that I wouldn't mind showing.
      The idea of an art show while in Korea is something that intrigues me greatly. But I don't know what I hope to get out of it. It's not about selling these pieces; I couldn't care less about the money. How about the exposure and generating a buzz around my name? Nope, I'd rather just be a wallflower and not be recognized. Maybe I'd just like to see how they're received. Are there other's who gravitate to the same things I do? Or enjoy the things that I find comfort in? Honestly, I'd say it's more about just having an outlet for my feelings, particularly the negative ones. That makes sense, right? Negative emotions get worked out through the visual arts or perhaps music and the artists feel better afterwards. Not the case here.
      After investing several hours over each of the last few weekends, I've actually found myself more depressed. It then dawned on me that to create these works, I've obviously had to confront certain issues in my life. And upon that confrontation, I wasn't allowed to just ignore things, glance over them, or bottle issues up. The opposite was true. They needed to bleed out freely onto the paper; that seemed to be the only way to create honest work. At the end of each weekend, I was left exhausted and broken, miserable and tortured. What's left behind though are some genuine, forthright, and authentic pieces, each one full of heart.


It all falls down at once
And I try to get some sleep
But the comforts of this bed
Have all been shattered to pieces

Young love,
I believe you know me better than most.
And in spite of real distance,
I feel you'll always be close.

      On the separate topic of the Christmas season, Korea is finally starting to show its spirit, however feeble it may be. There are a few decorations popping up at cafes around town and I've run across the occasional small, artificial tree. Also, an inflatable Santa Claus greets me as walk to and fro my favorite cafe to draw. There is one district quite a ways away that is decorated much more akin to Christmas back in the States. Ironically enough, it's a large shopping neighborhood. The reason for the season is consumerism, of course! I haven't made it out there yet as I've decided to save that trip for Brandon and Quentin on Christmas night.
      This Wednesday is the presidential election and it's been promoted much more than Christmas has out here. Imagine that back in the States. The election being more popular than Christmas. And that statement isn't meant to say that this election is insanely popular, it just shows how diminished Christmas is. Anyways, the fun begins in one week!

No comments:

Post a Comment