Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Things I Like About Korea: Part I and More Random Musings


      Today is 12/12/12. Is there any significance there? Nope, not for me at least. I just felt like writing the date because I won't get that chance again for another 100 years. I do love the symmetry of the day, month, and year though.
      Speaking of dates on the calender, let me segue into the importance of age here in Korea. First, I'll preface this by saying Korean age can be a year or two older than age in America. When you are born in Korea, you are one year old, not zero. Secondly, you age one year not on the day you were born, but on the Lunar New Year which is on the full moon in January. So lets say that Lunar New Years is on January 28th and a child was born on January 27th. On the 27th, they are one year old and the next day, they turn two years old. That's right, a two day old baby is two years old by Korean standards. That's why asking someone's age is very misleading out here. It's better to ask what year they were born in.
      So onto the importance of age. Koreans believe that there is some universal bond between those born during the same lunar year. If I meet a guy who was born in 1983 then we're immediately great friends. If I meet a girl born in 1983, we're instantly compatible and they'll usually want to go on a date. If you are older than someone, even by one year, then you are a respected elder and there are numerous social graces to show this respect (like accepting and giving objects to the elder with two hands, never just one or pouring their drinks and giving them their chopsticks at the dinner table). If you are younger, even by a year, and talking to a girl, chances are she'll consider you too young and immature to even contemplate dating. Curious enough, all of my closest Korean friends are 18 – 24 years old (Korean age that is. Who knows how old they actually are, I can't keep up with the odd aging system here). I guess I'm just breaking the mold and bucking tradition.
      Now, what I like about Korea. It's no secret that I'm the number one fan of Korean food. I'd actually love to move back home and open an authentic Korean restaurant in New Orleans (C with a circle around it*). I can see it now...all the hipsters who shop at Urban Outfitters and keep Rock-N-Sake open would pack my place every night! The similarities between both Cajun and Korean cuisine (i.e. spicy, garlic, onion, seafood) would allow for a smooth transition for all the naysayers. I'd invent a new genre of food...Casian!
      Here's the kicker. Korean restaurants have incredible service thanks to a brilliant invention called 저기요 or the "jeo-gi-yo" button. Simply by pressing the button found on the table, your specific table number is flashed on a screen in the restaurant and you're greeted by a chorus of "Nays?" (which means "Yes?") as every available waitress comes to your aide. Want to order? Need more water? How about a beer or some soju? Just press the button. On the off chance that you're in a hole-in-the-wall restaurant that doesn't have these magnificent buttons, just say "jeo-gi-yo"and you'll get the same response. It's a beautiful thing and just goes back to the ideals that Korea places the utmost importance on – efficiency and effectiveness.




*That's the official symbol for Copyright.  Now you can't steal my idea before I come home and implement it.

No comments:

Post a Comment