Thursday, August 30, 2012

Everything New is Old Again


       It seems that despite these new circumstances, locations, and routines, I can't escape some familiarities of the life I once knew. Case-in-point, Busan experiencing Typhoon Bolaven (which is the Pacific Ocean's rendition of a hurricane), the first in oh so many years and Tropical Storm Tembin. So I relied on my wealth of exposure gathered from Andrew to Opal, from Georges to Isadore, from Katrina to Rita to Gustav.
       Naturally, I had to venture to the beach…me and maybe 30 Koreans who stayed a half a mile away from the ocean in an attempt to video the largest waves they've ever seen. Keep in mind this is the same beach that only 4 weeks ago reportedly had 750,000 people on it, and it is not even peak season anymore. This is surely the most popular beach on the entire Korean peninsula. Meanwhile, I'm running through the sand barefoot, camera in hand.



       After taking a few photographs and getting blindsided by a wave while looking through the camera’s viewfinder, two lifeguards asked that I back away from the water and retreat to a safer distance. Later, in keeping with the tradition of emptying your freezer and eating buffet-style with your neighbors (for fear of losing power and having all of your food go to waste), there was a vast Korean meal savored with friends.


       While I currently go through the storms of the Far East, Hurricane Isaac is flooding New Orleans with its own torrential rainfall and winds. Funny how symmetry works, even 7,293 miles apart.

A long exposure taken during Hurricane Gustav without electricity

No comments:

Post a Comment