Saturday, August 18, 2012

My First Week - A Retrospective Part IV


The Different
      This entry could be titled the odd, the peculiar, the strange or the weird. I don’t want it to seem like I’m placing any negative emphasis on it however, so here a just a few things that I’ve noticed during my first week which are different than back home.

      Koreans brush their teeth after every meal. At the conclusion of lunch the entire school, including our Korean teachers, brushes their collective teeth at the 1 foot high horse trough, of course with their coffee-flavored toothpaste. Even the Caucasian siblings Caleb and Arielle.

      There are closed circuit security cameras everywhere. On the streets, at any entrance and exit, in each building’s stairwells, even in the classrooms…all of them. Mine included. If I stop and think about it, it seems a little Orwellian and I become paranoid.

      At water coolers there are the Korean equivalent of paper cups, little paper pockets, to drink your water from. These are literally the tiny paper equivalent of the back pocket on your pants. Very cool.

      Most apartments, stores, and restaurants have air-conditioning, thankfully. However, Koreans believe that it is terrible for your health to be in a room exposed to what they call “air con” for any extended period of time. If you leave the room, you turn your air con off. If you're going to sleep, you set it on a one hour timer. If not, you could die in your sleep by having all of the oxygen sucked out of your room.

      I get so much enjoyment in discovering, experiencing, and learning these new tid-bits of knowledge. As long as I can continue to get something out of Busan, Busan will get something out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment