Friday, August 24, 2012

Familiar Circumstances


             It only seems fair that with all Korea has taught me about the Orient and its customs, cultures, and traditions and has given me in life experiences that I reciprocate whenever possible.  Well, it appears that I may have just that opportunity.
             As of this writing, South Korea is currently staring down the barrel of Typhoon Bolaven, presently a category 3 storm project to reach level 4 by tomorrow.  The good news, for those who do not know, is that hurricanes can't sustain such a powerful level for very long before collapsing in on themselves.  Landfall is project for Monday as a category 3 which is still quite an impressive storm and unfortunately Busan will be on the East side of the eye (the stronger part of storm).
             Although I’m no longer residing in southern Louisiana it’s no excuse to not keep with tradition.  It's my duty nay, privilegeas a good ol' boy from the South to educate Koreans on the time-honored tradition that is the hurricane party.  While supplies such as batteries, candles, and jugs of water are readily available, they do seem short on the essentialsI can’t seem to find shrimp boots, a pirogue, Budweiser, and Crown Royal anywhere.  No problem, I'll make due.
             Koreans in Busan are no strangers to the rain during the months of July and August.  This is the rainy season and living on the coast exposes the city to numerous squalls.  They are, in turn, well-equipped with designer rain boots but it doesn’t appear that anyone subscribes to Frank Lloyd Wright’s famous theory of form following function, which may be why shrimp or hip boots are scarce. 
             As a mode of transportation through newly flooded, once dry land, nothing beats a pirogue.  Believe it or not these are also scant.  I’ll continue to search but if it doesn’t prove fruitful I may have to resort to one of these…

             Without Bud or Crown to fuel the decision making during the hurricane party, one might wonder, “How are you ever to survive?”  This will have to be the experiment to see how Sapporo beer and of course, Soju work in aiding attending partiers.
             There will be no need to find higher ground as I am on the 4 floor of my apartment complex.  If need be, I’ll make my way onto the roof.  All that’s left to find is soap and as many yards of Visqueen as possible for the slip-n-slide I intend to unroll in the courtyard of the university I live near.  And a skimboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment