Friday, August 3, 2012

So I left Luling to teach English in Busan, South Korea


     You know that feeling of anxiety and extreme nerves that you experience when you decide to move...and not just to a different neighborhood or town but maybe a different state, country, or even continent? But fears are soon set aside and you're comforted by a safe, smooth flight, easy transfers, and a warm welcome to your new residence.
     You first set your eyes on this strange, unfamiliar world and try to imagine calling it and not your previous small, southern Louisiana town home. You drink in this new landscape only to mentally contrast it to everything you once knew.

     Taking the first walk down your apartment's hallway attempting to find the front door that will house you for the next year, your mind and heart race with eager anticipation. 

     And once found, you open your front door to discover a gorgeous, very contemporary abode and are plesantly surprised. You're immediately greeted on your right by a giant frosted glass bathroom door shielding you from an almost futuristic bathroom.

     Maybe you're interupting me at this moment to say, "Hey! Your blog's background picture looks incredible but nothing like that landscape you're showing us. That actually looks a whole lot like Chicago, Illinois." And to that I'd say, "You didn't let me finish! The feeling that I was describing above...yeah, I don't know that feeling at all because it's impossible for me to go out in the world without the powers that be afflicting me with Murphy's Law at every possible opportunity!" So now I'm stuck in Chicago because my New Orleans flight was delayed and I was too late to be let on to my connecting flight to Seoul, South Korea. I'll spare you the hours spent riding the airport tram 4 times back and forth for miles only to be repeatedly denied help from both American Airlines and Asiana Airlines and just tell you that it ends with me on a phone borrowed from a stranger (since I no longer have one) with customer service for an hour.  I had to start over and purchase my own ticket to Busan, South Korea instead of being able to take the way too easy route on a free flight given to me. Oh yeah, nobody knows where my 2 checked bags are either. So instead, I've entertained you with photos of the lackluster Chicago skyline and my hotel.
     Disgusted?  Exhausted?  Disappointed?  Exasperated?  Fully expecting something like this to happen?  All of the above???

1 comment:

  1. Damn man, that sucks. I sent you a text, didn't know if you still had your phone. Good luck dude.

    ReplyDelete