Sunday, August 5, 2012

Song of the day - "My Town" by Armor for Sleep


      After waking up from my first night in my new home and looking out the window at beautiful blue skies, I decided that today would be a great day to get lost. Success!
    The good news is not only did I make it back home, I captured a few photos along the way. So far it's been an incredible experience observing Korean customs, traditions, cuisine, architecture, and the like. More on this to come.
     It is my understanding that I live in the village of Daeyeon-Dong, in the neighborhood of Nam-Gu, in the city of Busan, in the country of South Korea. It's probably what comes to your mind when conjuring up ideas of small, dirty, aged Oriental neighboorhoods mixed with a drive and passion for constant modernization and a desire to feel contemporary. Elements of both can be seen side-by-side starkly contrasting one another as soon as I walk out of my building.

Beautiful granite walls, polished marble columns, keyless entry into steel and glass sliding doors.

     The stereotypical hustle and bustle of any Asian city is clearly evident even at the most laxed point on a way too hot, lazy Sunday.

     Right around the corner from where I live, my ears are greeted with blaring Korean pop music known here by the kids (who are rabid fans of) as K-Pop.  Despite not being open on a Sunday, HELLO KITTY decided that it's absolutely necessary to provide musical entertainment to the masses.

     Koreans are fanatical when it comes to coffee.  All types too...hot, iced, mochas, espressos, lattes.  It's their dessert.  And the numbers and placements of coffee shops can only be rivaled by Seattle, Washington. 
How's the old saying go?
Coffee is better with your Jesus or Jesus is better with your coffee?

No comments:

Post a Comment