Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Monday after Chuseok - A Photographic Tour


     After bathing over a wash basin (which consisted of nothing more than ladling warm water from a large bowl and pouring it over my head) and sleeping on the hardwood floor with all the Korean boys Sunday night, I arose when the rooster crowed. That is no metaphor, the obnoxious rooster actually woke me around 5:45 in the morning. The thought of rolling over and attempting to go back to sleep momentarily crossed my mind but then I quickly realized that that'd be foolish. When else would I be able to watch the rising sun over the mountains of the Korean countryside? I grabbed my camera and tip-toed over the countless sleeping bodies strewn about and made it outside only to discover that it was cold and densely foggy. I was prepared for neither, but it made for interesting photo opportunities. I decided that some fresh rice grain and a persimmon would make for a good breakfast and I was correct on only one of those. The rice grain pulled from the stalks tasted great, however I ruined my mouth for the next hour by biting into what I thought looked like a ripe persimmon. Don't know what I'm talking about? Give a green persimmon a try one day.




When taking pictures, Koreans love the peace sign and saying "1, 2, 3...Cheese!  KIMCHI!"

     I return back to the house to find most of the family awake and preparing breakfast. Sausage, French toast, scrambled eggs, and bacon, you ask? Nope...clams, pork, onions, kimchi, and more kimchi – like always. We ate and I was then informed that we'd be taking a trip to a nearby Buddhist temple. You can imagine my excitement, and after spending the day there picnicking on fruit (Buddhist monks follow a strict vegan diet as not to harm any other living things so that diet must be followed while on the village's ground), it surpassed every expectation that I had.
     What I'll leave you with are the photos from that wonderful Monday. I'm incredibly grateful that I was able to experience all that is Chuseok. I believe I left a good impression upon my friend's family as I was asked to be in a family-style portrait that was taken to be hung up on the wall. I was also told by the men, women, and children of the village that I was "very handsome" so many times you'd think I was Brad freakin' Pitt. Finally, I was invited back to celebrate the second most important holiday in Korea – Lunar New Years. How could I say no?! So here's to ringing in the year of the snake in 2013, lunar style!







No comments:

Post a Comment