Friday, October 5, 2012

The Sunday of Chuseok - Where No (White) Man has Gone Before


      At the beginning of the Chuseok Road Trip 2012 I was filled with fresh excitement. Although it's been nearly two months now, I sat in the backseat of a car with my Korean coworker and his sister in the front and gazed out in wide eyed astonishment as if it were the first time the Korean landscape had met my eyes. What is probably an hour and a half drive took us four hours because of the insane Chuseok migration taking place. Imagine a mandatory evacuation with contraflow initiated. We passed through large cities, small cities, smaller cities, and then the countryside dominated by mountains and agriculture. Over the course of many miles and many hours we paused our journey at these sporadic roadside places equivalent to our rest stops but with food – and lots of it. Imagine an extensive food court at an extremely large mall. These grew fewer and farther as we made our way through the golden rice fields and towards our destination. Seeing the countryside had completely cemented in my mind that I do not belong in a city. I'm utterly envious of the children who are lucky enough to grow up out here, the families that can make a living off of the land, and especially the fortunate residents of New Arbor Lake. You see, it's not just the Korean countryside that makes me feel at peace, it's any and all of the wild places that I've been blessed to step foot upon. A previous writing that I've never posted was brought to mind; here's an excerpt:
      "For the first time, I can feel that the honeymoon phase has ended. I'd like to be home. Of course this is probably a temporary feeling, but a genuine emotion none-the-less. I do find pleasure in the fact that I do not belong in Korea though. I'm automatically left alone and not bothered which allows me to just experience and assess all that is going on in the world around me and more importantly, my mind. But then there's the fact that I DON'T BELONG IN KOREA. What am I doing here?! I belong in the wilderness somewhere. The wide open air, sunrises and sunsets, winter's moons and summer's fires. My soul finds peace in these and I am ultimately content, not just a fleeting moment of happiness."
      Before arriving it was confirmed by meeting my friend's father that I'd indeed be the first foreigner this village had ever seen which led to an indescribable feeling of the utmost pride, gratitude, and fortune. Through translation I was reminded of the opportunity that lay before me. This was a sacred ritual for the Korean people and outsiders do not get to experience the traditions of Chuseok. I'd like to think his speech was meant to inspire me, which it did, but it realistically felt more akin to a humorous "Don't embarrass yourself!"
      As we drove through Korea's mountains I noticed distant isolated stones protruding from clearings in the forested areas. Further inspection revealed that these were granite tombstone and families could be seen trailing up the mountain side as if they were single-filed lemmings on their way to honor those that have come before them. I was to learn a great deal more about this shortly.
      We finally arrived at our destination and while my friend and his sister were greeted warmly by their grandmother, uncle, aunt, and two younger cousins as well as the neighboring families, I was stared at with perplexity and what felt like slight distrust. So a challenge lay ahead of me; I was filled with nervous anticipation but we were quickly preparing for our own hike up the mountainside. We brought an apple, some clams harvested from a nearby river, and some grain alcohol that the family makes by fermenting rice. These are shared with the deceased and the portion that you keep and consume is the vehicle in receiving your ancestors wisdom and inner peace. I was surprisingly offered a broken quarter of apple, clams, and a drink which I just couldn't turn down. I had already come further than any other foreigner by simply standing in front of grave sites for a clan that I did not belong to, how was I to turn down this opportunity?! Higher on the terraced mountainside I notice the granite tombstones in twos, each pair slightly higher than the last. These were the patriarchs and matriarchs of each generation laid to rest on the land that is owned by their clan. I then realized that I was standing in the presence of two or three hundred years worth of my friend's ancestors.
      I'll let my photos tell the story of the rest of the day, it's too much to put into failing words. I will say that we had a fabulous array of food for our Chuseok dinner and even though the night wound down, more family members showed up at 11:30pm which prompted the food and drink to be brought out again and everyone to huddle around it on the floor. It was absolutely a great time and I believe the turning point in the family's perception of me came after the late night dinner. I went to walk through the rice fields up the mountains after midnight under the shining full moon and the two sons of my friend's uncle asked to join me. It was then that I discovered they knew enough English for us to stumble through stories and laughter. They seemed to look up to me and it was a chance to prove to the watchful eyes of the village that I was not a threat.

True amber waves of grain.

Through the terraced rice fields lie the grave sites of the clan's ancestors.

The sun setting upon the flowing rapids.

No comments:

Post a Comment