Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Restoration of Faith


       Needless to say, as of my last entry I hadn't had the greatest week. And it didn't end with my incident; there where other issues thrust to the forefront with most of the foreign teachers. Things were on edge and tensions ran high. But as with most things, time has a way of covering (notice I did not say healing) wounds. While I can not speak for the other foreigners, I suppose I feel about as much at ease as one in my situation would given the circumstances. What's helped is the welcomed, yet sadly, only temporary escape known as the weekend.
      As fortune would have it, my Saturday came together in spectacular fashion. We had a cold front blow through which meant a day doomed by heavy rain, plummeting temperatures, and stiff winds.  Coincidentally at BEXCO, Busan's extremely large convention center, there were a myriad of fairs going on, three of which captured my interests. I got an early start heading to BEXCO and made it there just in time for the skies to open. Once inside, I knew that I wanted to see the International Tea Fair, the International Food Festival, and the Organic and Health Food Fair. Each provided endless entertainment and a much needed escape. As if that wasn't positive enough, the fact that I wasn't jailed in my apartment by the rain made it all the better.
      At the Organic and Health Food Fair I was exposed to every Korean claiming that their food/supplement/drink/extract/root/tea/paste/cream was "good for me." I've already mentioned that they're famously noted for this but it was surely taken to an extreme here. But what do I know? There are numerous elderly Koreans whom are still very active and so much more flexible than I. So maybe there's something to this. I ingested enough free samples to keep me healthy for what I estimate to be the next 8 or 9 years.


      The International Food Festival was quite an impressive culinary exhibition. While it was mainly geared toward restaurant owners and chefs by informing them of the latest and greatest in cooking technologies, I was able to learn about many different dining customs and cuisine preparations. There was one questionable advertising attempt. In order to promote their organic, free range chicken one company decided to set up a pen full of the cutest, fluffiest peeping chicks. Needless to say, this pulled on the heartstrings of every child there and didn't really make you hungry to kill and eat these future chicken nuggets.


      I then attended the International Tea Fair armed with the proper knowledge beat into me bestowed upon me previously by a monk. I was determined not to make a fool of myself and the fair didn't disappoint. Again, I estimate I consumed a gallon's worth of tea samples ranging from mistletoe and mugwort to arrowroot and mushroom. Highlights of the fair included endless impressive hand-made ceramics and rice cakes which I'm gaining quite an affinity for. They are oh so mouth-watering, come in a dizzying array of flavors, and accompany a hot cup of tea perfectly. 


      There was also a small group of musicians providing beautiful background tunes while people made their rounds. Unbelievably enough, a trumpet player dazzled an interested crowd of one (me) by playing "When the Saints Go Marching In." Oddly enough my chant of "Who Dat!" went unechoed after his performance. The highlight of the highlights was an invitation to sit and have coffee with a family while passing their booth. They urged their little girl who was 7 or 8 to practice her English with me. Over the cup of coffee, I was not only offered rice cakes (!) but a cup of tea and a (one of three of the native species of persimmons). As the minutes ticked away and the typical game of gestural charades that I commonly use to converse went on, I was offered a free tea cup and saucer. This was such a kind and unexpected gesture that I felt I needed to do more than just entertain the little girl while eating and drinking for free. I decided that I'd buy another cup to show my appreciation so back to our game of charades we went. Now maybe I got this wrong but after 10 minutes of asking the price of various tiny tea cups, the least expensive answer I received was 1,000,000 won. I hate to be self-referential, especially twice in the same entry, but I've already discovered that I don't make that much money. So...

Dear Extremely Kind Korean Family,
     While I am honored that I was invited to sit down, fed so well, had my thirst quenched, and was given an all-too-nice gift, I just can not afford any of your ceramics. I am more than willing to continue the free English tutoring with your daughter however. Perhaps over a cup of tea in my new cup.

Heart warmed and faith restored,
Ryan








Some younger ceramists are straying from the traditional style 
favored by the monks for something more contemporary.


No comments:

Post a Comment